Penygraig RFC | 1st Team 19 - 10 Pentyrch RFC | 1st Team
Ethan Williams
1 Try
Huw Rees
1 Try

Match Report
04 January 2019 / Team News

Penygraig Away 19-10 L

Match Report Pentyrch v Penygraig on 29th December


On a dry day having left the mist behind us and with the hills of the Rhondda shining brightly in the afternoon sun the Tyrchs kicked off the match. Graig failed to protect the ball and were penalised for an offence. The Tyrchs found a good touch but unfortunately knocked the ball on at the lineout. Graig won the resulting scrum and put in a good kick behind the defence only to be penalised for not retreating. The Tyrchs took a scrum and following a good move straight from the training field Ethan Williams scored a try in the right hand corner. The conversion dropped just short.

Score Graig 0 Tyrchs 5.

Graig restarted the game and unfortunately the Tyrchs knocked on. Graig won the scrum with the No8 picking up, going blind and putting the wing over for a good try. The conversion was successful making the score Graig 7 Tyrchs 5.

The Tyrchs were looking unsettled and the restart kick did not go 10 metres so Graig were awarded a scrum on half way which they duly won. The Tyrchs defended well after Graig won the scrum and were awarded a penalty for their efforts. The ball was kicked to touch, the lineout won and the Tyrchs were awarded another penalty. The Tyrchs elected for a kick at the posts which dropped just short.  

There followed a period of scrappy play with both sides guilty of mishandling and knock ons. Eventually even the referee became bored and awarded a penalty to the Tyrchs which was kicked to touch 5 metres from the Graig line. The Tyrchs won the lineout and following a positive move and after Graig knocked the ball on in the tackle the ball was moved into the centre for Huw Rees cut inside and scored near the posts. The conversion was narrowly wide, making the score Graig 7 Tyrchs 10.

Graig restarted the game, and were awarded a penalty, which was taken quickly.  The referee called the play back, and Graig elected to kick for the posts.  The kick missed, and the Tyrchs restarted at the 22.  Graig successfully fielded the kick, but on moving the ball wide, managed to knock the ball on.

The Tyrchs won the resulting scrum, and Rhys Lynch put in a good kick deep into the Graig 22.  Graig cleared their lines, and the Tyrchs won the resulting line out.  The Tyrch forwards moved the ball forward through 3 successive mauls before being forced into touch on the Graig 22.  Graig won the following line out and cleared the ball up to the Tyrchs 10 metre line.  Unfortunately the Tyrchs knocked the ball on at the resulting line out, and won the resulting scrum.  Only good defence by the Tyrchs kept Graig out with the referee blowing for half time.


Half time score – Graig 7 Tyrchs 10.


Graig restarted the game and the Tyrchs made a good catch and drove the ball into the Graig half and were awarded a penalty. Tom James put in a very good kick to touch deep into the Graig 22. The Tyrchs won the line out and moved the ball into mid field with Nathan Williams just being caught by his opposite number.  Graig were awarded a penalty, and following a line out the Tyrchs regained the ball and attacked the Graig defence with only strong tackling holding them out.  The Tyrchs were then awarded a penalty after foul play, with the Graig number 5 being yellow carded.  Tom James, put in a good kick to touch, and following some good pressure, Graig regained the ball.  The Graig number 10 kicked the ball into space behind the Tyrchs defence, regained it, and after two hands off scored in the right hand corner. The conversion was unsuccessful.

Score – Graig 14 Tyrchs 10.

The Tyrchs restarted the game, and following a very good catch by the Graig defence, their number 10 found a very good touch on the Tyrchs 5 metre line.  The Tyrchs won the line out, but in the process knocked the ball on.  Graig won the following scrum, and following a move from the back of the scrum, scored a try to the left of the posts.  The conversion was unsuccessful, making the score – Graig 19 Tyrchs 10.

The Tyrchs kicked off again and Graig knocked the ball on.  The Tyrchs won the resulting scrum, and were unfortunate to knock the ball on after a very promising move.  Graig were then awarded a scrum, and soon after a penalty for a no arms tackle was awarded to Graig.  The Graig number 10 found a good touch near the Tyrchs 22, but the Tyrchs managed to regain the ball, which enabled George Harris to make ground up the right side of the pitch.  Graig were then awarded a scrum, which the Tyrchs defended really well, and won the ball back.  There followed three or four scrums to both sides before the Tyrchs were awarded a penalty which was kicked to touch. The Tyrchs won the following line out but lost the ball after another good run.  The referee then blew for full time.


Final score – Graig 19 Tyrchs 10.












There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos