Pentyrch RFC | 1st Team 29 - 24 Bargoed RFC | 2nd Team
Rhys Lynch
Conversion 3
Penalty 1
Ethan Williams
Try 1
Ethan Denty
Try 1
Nathan Williams
Try 24

Match Report
23 December 2018 / Team News

Bargoed H 29-24 Win

Match Report Pentyrch v Bargoed 2nd XV on 21st December


On a clear afternoon after dodging one or two showers Bargoed kicked off this eagerly awaited match in the WRU National Bowl Competition. The Tyrchs having not played a game for over 8 weeks were champing at the bit to get into action. The kick off was fielded by Dylan Atkins who made good progress through mid-field before passing to Ethan Dente who was forced into touch. Bargoed lost the ball forward at the lineout and following a very good scrum the Tyrchs moved the ball swiftly to the right resulting in Nathan Williams cutting inside his marker and the covering full back to score an excellent try under the posts. Rhys Lynch converted making the score Tyrchs 7 Bargoed 0.  

At the restart the Tyrchs were awarded a penalty and Rhys Lynch found a good touch near the Bargoed 22. Unfortunately the Tyrchs conceded a scrum at the lineout which followed and despite a very good defensive scrum allowed Bargoed to clear their lines. The Tyrchs won the following lineout and ran the ball up the left hand side. Bargoed defended well and after tackling Ethen Dente into touch won the resulting lineout and made headway up the blind side. The ball reached scrum half Lewis Galloway who scored a good try some 15 metres in. He successfully converted his own try making the score Tyrchs 7 Bargoed 7.

The Tyrchs restarted the game and Bargoed knocked the ball on. The Tyrchs looking determined to improve on their score won the scrum and Dylan Atkins made another forceful run into mid-field only to be called back for a forward pass. The Tyrchs again scrummaged really well but conceded a penalty which mystified supporters as the Bargoed tight head was being forced up at nearly every scrum. Lewis Galloway kicked the penalty making the score Tyrchs 7.Bargoed 10.

The Tyrchs again restarted the game being unlucky to behind. Extremely good defence by the Tyrchs forced Bargoed to lose the ball and following a good carry by Captain Scanners Bargoed conceded a scrum. The Tyrchs won the scrum and following a good break by scrum half Kieran Williams Ethan Williams scored a good try to the right of the posts. Rhys Lynch successfully converted making the score Tyrchs 14 Bargoed 10.

Bargoed kicked off and Dylan Atkins again made a storming run through mid-field but was penalised for not releasing the ball. Lewis Galloway narrowly missed the kick due to the effect of a swirling wind.

The Tyrchs restarted the game at their 22 with Rhys Lynch putting a long kick into the Bargoed half and following some strong tackling Bargoed conceded a penalty which was successfully converted by Rhys Lynch. Score Tyrchs 17 Bargoed10.

Bargoed restarted the game and again the ball was fielded well by the Tyrchs and moved swiftly Rhys Lynch. Bargoed were then penalised for an offence and Rhys found a good touch near the half way line. The Tyrchs lost the lineout by overthrowing the ball but tackled their hearts out to keep Bargoed at bay. Pressure eventually told and Bargoed were awarded a penalty which again went narrowly wide.

Half Time Score-Tyrchs 17 Bargoed10.


The Tyrchs kicked off the second half and exerted a good deal of pressure on the Bargoed forwards. The referee awarded a scrum to Bargoed which they ran from their 22 only to lose the ball in a tackle. The Tyrchs recovered the ball and immediately ran up the left hand side. A good long pass by Huw Rees enabled Ethan Dente to round his opponent and score a try in the left hand corner. Rhys Lynch narrowly missed the conversion making the score Tyrchs 22 Bargoed 10.

The Tyrchs were looking the stronger team and following another good run by Dylan Atkins the ball was moved into the Bargoed half. Bargoed defended well but unfortunately knocked the ball on. Bargoed were penalised at the following scrum and Rhys Lynch found a good touch on the Bargoed 5 metre line. The ball was eventually won at the very scrappy lineout which followed and the ball moved into left mid-field. The Bargoed  defence was fixed into spreading out to their right so when the ball was switched inside to Nathan Williams from the opposite wing he was able to run in under the posts The try was successfully converted by Rhys making the score Tyrchs 29 Bargoed 10.

The Tyrch’s may have become a little complacent at this point as following the restart the ball was lost forward and Bargoed capitalised on the error by scoring an opportunist try some 5 metres to the left of the posts. The try was successfully converted by Lewis Galloway. Score Tyrchs 29 Bargoed 17.

The Tyrchs restarted the game looking a little lack lustre but were soon back on the offensive and following a good probe down the middle Bargoed were penalised for a high tackle. Rhys again found a good touch; the Tyrchs won the lineout and made good progress. Bargoed could sense that the Tyrchs were now a little hesitant but in their eagerness to regain possession again high tackled a Tyrchs player. The referee gave a stern warning and issued a yellow card.

The game then seesawed back and fore with both sides putting in some strong tackling. Something had to give and following a quick penalty, a knock on and offensive scrum Dylan Atkins was given a rather unlucky yellow card for a high tackle. The referee fair play to him was being consistent. Bargoed decided not to kick for the posts and found a good touch on the Tyrchs 5 metre line. Bargoed won the lineout and following some good driving mauls the Bargoed No 5 who had been a nuisance all afternoon crashed over for a try.

Lewis Galloway converted making the score Tyrchs 29 Bargoed 24.

At the restart Bargoed knocked the ball on and with the home supporters biting their nails the Tyrchs won the scrum and looked really dangerous. Unfortunately the ball was knocked on by the Tyrchs when a try looked on. The Tyrchs strongly defended the scrum causing Bargoed to be on the backfoot. Unfortunately over eagerness caused the referee to award Bargoed a penalty. Bargoed failed to find touch and the Tyrch’s kicked the ball back into the Bargoed half. Bargoed now smelt blood and with the Tyrchs coaching team demanding cool heads the last few minutes of the game descended into a series of very nervous scrums and lineouts. Eventually the Tyrchs regained possession and after clarification from the referee the ball was kicked out with The Tyrchs winning and going into the 5th round.


Final score Tyrchs 29 Bargoed 24.


Next weekend the match for the 1st 

Final score Tyrchs 29 Bargoed 24.


The next fixture is at Penygraig Sat 29th Dec 2.30pm KO

A further win for the youth who due to a probable postponement at home reversed the venue and played at Llanishenon their new 3G pitch and came back to a win 5-8 win in the league well done to all, the next fixture for them is at home against Machen RFC on Sat 5th Jan 2.30pm KO







There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos